It is called oenology to the technique and science linked to the elaboration of came . It is a series of knowledge that allows the study and development of the entire production process, from the collection of the grapes to the preservation of the final product.
The enology expert is known as oenologist . This specialist is responsible for providing technical advice to cellar To guarantee the quality of the wines. It is important not to confuse the role of the winemaker with that of the sommelier or sommelier (the person who, in restaurants and hotels, advises the diner on what wine to choose) or with the taster or catavinos (whose job is to taste the wine to detail its characteristics).
Oenology training varies by country. There are nations where it is possible to take a bachelor's degree which guarantees the scientific suitability of the graduate. The graduate in oenology has knowledge about the methods of cultivation, the preparation of the musts, the storage of the product , etc.
Another specialty related to oenology is the viticulture , also known as viniculture and viticulture . In this case, the discipline is centered on the vine (the plant that has the grape as fruit). The winegrower is a fruit grower specialized in vines.
The winemaker, in short, is the professional who makes the most important decisions in the wine production process, although his activity is not limited to the production instance. It also participates in everything related to the land where the crops are carried out and with the inputs that are used, for example. That is why oenology is key in the industry Of the wine.
Let's see below a list of the most important competencies of oenology professionals:
* take into account market requirements and legal, economic and technical resources to carry out the organization of the production process;
* participate in making decisions on issues such as capacity, design and use of winery facilities, tools and machinery, with the aim of making it more efficient and achieving an increase in the quality of the wines produced;
* carry out the control and management of the quality of products, both wine and derivatives and related products throughout the production chain, in particular at the key points of the wine companies;
* keep track of terms of personal hygiene and safety in the workplace. This includes supervisory work to ensure that all employees comply with the relevant regulations;
* carry out the training of the workers of the companies vitivinicultural and auxiliary, and maintain control of them;
* Check that all current rules related to the circulation, labeling, production and marketing of wines and related products and derivatives are complied with. Oenology also covers the control of rules related to prices and markets;
* be aware of the decisions made about the varieties to choose, the characteristics of the plantations vineyard, the cultivation and the conduction of the same, the collection and the transfer of the harvest for its storage in the cellar, among other crucial points of the production process;
* schedule the supply of products and raw materials, then supervise their selection and reception, making sure that they successfully pass the QA and that are acquired in the necessary quantity;
* carry out the management of the laboratory where chemical, organoleptic, microbiological and physical analyzes are performed for the control of all products and subjects cousins.